Happy New Year, everyone!
I don’t know about you, but I love the feeling that comes with the start of the new year.
Sure, it’s a little saddening to wave goodbye to the fun holiday season and all that was 2017, but January’s also a chance to start fresh in all aspects of your life. You can choose to actively change/re-evaluate the things that may have been setting you back the year prior, like your job, relationships, residence, social network, hobbies, vices.
Over the weekend while Sam and I were away in the mountains (more on that trip Wednesday), I started thinking more about the kind of New Year’s resolution I wanted and also, the overall goals I wanted to stick to this year.
After a little research, I soon learned that most people can only realistically commit to one solid resolution, so instead of choosing a whole handful (like I had originally intended on doing), I decided to pick just one resolution and lump my other plans into my goals section (more on that later).
Any guesses what my New Year’s resolution is going to be?
It’s one I’ve set before but wasn’t able to stick with the entire year. But this year will be different.
It’s practicing meditation! Every. day.
Along with my new morning meditation (10 minutes) in stillness, I plan on also doing some journaling…. nothing lengthy, but just jotting down a few thoughts on a page about how I’m feeling/the week’s going.
I’ll be putting a journal at my bedside as a daily reminder.
That’s it. It sounds easy but like I said, I’ve given it a go in the past but always was “too busy” or “too tired” to make it a priority.
I once heard that morning meditation sets the tone for the day and is a “mental shower” to clear your mind and go forward with your day.
I figure that if I can start the day this way—in a mindful and soft space—I can move on with my day with similar care and intention. I can always remind myself of the calmness that started my day when things get hectic or take a turn.
Have you set a New Year’s resolution? If so, what are planning on sticking with?
If you’re not into setting resolutions, no biggie.
Okay, now onto goals…
My goals are a bit more specific/personal/finance-focused than my one resolution.
I think deciding to share my goals here not only lets you into my life a little more than usual, but also holds me accountable to check in more and “show up.”
My Dad’s a big goal-setter, so I do think that his mindset has rubbed off on me a bit over the years. (Not a bad thing!)
So… in no particular order, here are some of my new goals for 2018:
– Be more present. (I have a tendency to plan everything in my life and as much as I believe in manifesting what I want and that things happen as they will, I still try to get a tight grip on every part of my life. This year, I want to relax more and just be present in all the moments of life. I want to enjoy things for what they are and stop managing every part of what’s out of my control.)
– Speak up. (I can be a very go-with-the-flow kind of person, but this year I want to really work at sharing my opinions more loudly and clearly, and be less worried of what others think.)
– Save money! (Sam and I really want to buy a home as soon as we can and for us to be able to do that, we need to put aside some serious money. That means eating out less, maybe saying no more to social outings, and just being smart where we spend here and there on things we don’t really need (coffees, random splurges, Lyft rides). We’ve set some time aside to talk about how much we plan on saving and how we’re going to accomplish that.)
– Travel more! (Yeah, I know what you’re thinking…. this is kind of funny because of course traveling is going to cost some serious dough, but we want to at least go on one big trip together this year. We want to see the world together, especially before we have kids one day when that may not be as feasible.)
– Continue doing yoga (duh) and working out consistently. (Exercise makes me really happy, and it keeps me fit and clear-minded. I’m keeping with Zumba, yoga, and weight-lifting. There’s no way I’m giving that up.)
– Eat cleaner and more mindfully. (Everyone always tells me I eat “so well” and “healthy”, but the truth is… I have a major sweet tooth and tend to eat more than my body probably needs sometimes. This year, I want to eat more clean, whole foods and portion control more. Just being mindful of what I’m eating and how much of it.)
– Grow the blog. (I’ve been writing for almost a year now—yay!—and I think it’s time I lift the blog to new levels. I want to start networking more with other bloggers, adding more exciting stuff to read/watch/see, and maybe even play around with the idea of sponsorships/partnerships. Know anything you can share with me about any of that?)
Are you a goal-setter?
I love the feeling of getting excited to hit my goals, so let’s hope I hit all of these. 🙂
FYI: I’ve been reading that a big part of goal-setting is writing them down and then checking back in on them frequently.
I’ll check back in to let you know how things are going every month or so.
Thanks for reading. Let’s kick another year off on The Good Getter!
Have a great time celebrating all the goodness the new year brings today.
See you Wednesday,