On July 4th, Henry turned 1! And when I say it was the fastest, craziest, whirlwind of a year, I really mean it.
So much has happened all the way from his birth, my maternity leave, and our cross-country move to starting new jobs, this pandemic and the current global justice movement. I feel like we’re a whole new family than we were just a year ago. We’ll have stories to tell Henry for ages.
Like I said in my last post, this past year completely took me by surprise in that I was able to spend almost all of it from home (between my leave and working remotely). With that has come this intense bond with Hen and each day it just grows stronger and stronger. I love that little boy so damn much. It hurts.
We had big plans for months to throw him the biggest bash at my in-laws. An awesome cook-out, the pool, all our friends and family. But then… COVID. We knew we’d have to scale back for our health & safety and everyone else’s, so we decided to have a small parents/siblings-only BBQ at our place. Burgers, dogs, wings, pasta salad, fruit and cake.
It was simple as ever—and honestly, perfect.
Henry was smiling all day and his mood was so calm. I think he really had a ball!
I crafted some things because… it’s my kid’s first birthday 😂 … and I love a good excuse to be artsy. I really had fun with it!
It’s a day I’ll always remember (even though Henry won’t). 😂
BTW—his cakes turned out really well! I made this one for the group and I improvised a little on this healthy smash cake recipe for him! You should have seen his expression once he tried the cake… slow at first, and then WOW, all about it! 😆
I’m going to end today’s post with some current memories of Henry, so I’ll never forget! Total Mom move haha.
One-year-old Henry is into:
– clapping and waving, which are both adorable to watch
– saying “Mama”, “Dada”, “Nana”, “Baby”, and “Lalala”
– eating all the food (I like to joke that he’s just like me because he loves peanut butter, bananas, avocado, cheese and berries… legit some of my faves).
– being outside
– his bedtime routine (turning the pages of books and getting his teeth brushed)
– ME…. very clingy right now and all about “Mama! MAMAAAA!”
– rising early…. he’s a 5:30am waker most days
– our morning walks to the park for about 1-1.5 miles
– our phones and the remotes even though he doesn’t watch TV or videos… yet.
– milk since he’s now drinking whole milk
– cuddles and blankets
– the book “Watch Your Step Mr. Rabit”… a lot
– blueberry mesh pops and teething crackers
– swinging and sensory activities